Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Coming Soon! Favourite Films of the Decade!

You read that right. I'm going to get an early start on counting down my favourite films of the decade. I'd never be so bold as to call them the "best" films of the decade, but look into your heart and you'll know I'm right with every one of my picks. I figure, if I start the countdown now, there is a good chance I can have it done by the end of the decade. And seriously, what are the chances that a film will come out between now and 2010 that will make the list? One trillion to one? Maybe more. It's only Oscar season coming up. Nevertheless, most lists I make up (and I loves me my lists) are out of date once I see all the movies I've missed from such and such a time. I'm confident that the first couple films will likely stay put, but #8 and up are on very shaky ground. It's not like I've seen every film of the decade (just the ones that matter holmes).

Also, I probably won't have many recent films on the list. It's easy to get gung-ho after seeing a Drag Me to Hell or Watchmen, and maybe want to throw them high on the list. I'd like to give them a little more time to gestate, and who knows, something like Drag Me to Hell may eventually make number one once I watch it multiple times and make a tradition out of it. So remember, this list is really fucking unfair to new films. That's the kind of piece of work that I am.

These films are not up for debate, because I'm actually using scientific methods to judge their merit. After I've done all the tests in my laboratory, I'll put them up you lucky devils and then you can nod your heads knowingly are rearrange your list accordingly. Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. I would never be able to make a top 10 list of the previous decade, because I usually can't rank movies. Hell, right now I'm not sure what my #1 favorite movie of all-time is. Most of the movies I saw from this decade were mainstream movies - and most of those movies were average, or crappy. That's what happens when you spend so many years relying on satellite TV for your movie fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. I meant to say: "Most of the movies I saw from the past decade were mainstream movies."

    ReplyDelete